In our ongoing search for new products and suppliers, Byfod stumbled upon a hidden gem in the Atlas mountains of Morocco: Atlas Peonies. Founders Dick Houtenbos and Driss El Hadji are growing a wide selection of premium quality peonies in ideal circumstances on the mountain hills. Combined, Dick and Driss have over 60(!) years of experience in the peony business. Having worked in Holland, the USA and France, they eventually put their knowledge and experience together in Morocco. With this, Dick and Driss have managed to bring the Dutch expertise together with the perfect weather conditions to grow the most beautiful Peonies. Ask your sales rep to see them for yourselves and be ready to fall in love all over again!
The biggest advantages of the Moroccan climate:
- The climate is warm, but the clear skies make for cold nights. This in turn makes that the peonies grow at a steady pace. Not too fast, not too slow.
- The stems are more solid and the heads are bigger than stems grown in the Dutch climate.
- The sky in Morocco has a very high luminous intensity. Simply put: more light. As a result of this, the colors of the heads are deeper and more intense.
- The variety is superb. Aside from the usual suspects, a lot of new varieties grown there are in increasing demand.
- Moroccan season for peonies starts up to five week earlier than Holland season`